On July 14, 2017, the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) signed into law the Dental Amalgam Categorical Standard (40 CFR 441). Pursuant to the standard, all “Existing Sources” and "New Sources" are subject to the new rule and must achieve the following pretreatment standards no later than July 14, 2020:
(1) Installation, operation, and maintenance of one or more amalgam separators that meet the requirements:
(b) Implementation of the following Best Management Practices (BMPs):
(1) Waste amalgam including, but not limited to, dental amalgam from chair-side traps, screens, vacuum pump filters, dental tools, cuspidors, or collection devices, must not be discharged to a POTW.
(2) Dental unit waterlines, chair-side traps, and vacuum lines that discharge amalgam process wastewater to a POTW must not be cleaned with oxidizing or acidic cleaners, including but not limited to bleach, chlorine, iodine, and peroxide that have a pH lower than 6 or greater than 8. The dental dischargers, as agent or representative of the dental discharger, must maintain and make available for inspection in either physical or electronic form, for a minimum of three years:
(1) Documentation of the date, the person(s) conducting the inspection, and results of each inspection of the amalgam separator(s) or equivalent device(s), and a summary of follow-up actions, if needed.
(2) Documentation of amalgam retaining container or equivalent container replacement (including the date, as applicable).
(3) Documentation of all dates that collected dental amalgam is picked up or shipped for proper disposal in accordance with 40 CFR 261.5(g)(3), and the name of the permitted or licensed treatment, storage or disposal facility receiving the amalgam retaining containers.
(4) Documentation of any repair or replacement of an amalgam separator or equivalent device, including the date, person(s) making the repair or replacement, and a description of the repair or replacement (including the make and model).
Where applicable, your facility will need to complete the following documentation and return it to the SGRWRF Pretreatment Department at the following address:
Attn: Pretreatment Department
3780 W. 1550 W.
St. George, Utah 84770