The Pine Valley Hydro Plant was originally constructed in 1941 and continues to provide power to St. George. The plant sat idle for a number of years (1981-1995) - but was rebuilt on the same location (7 miles north of the city on a culinary water line) and was rededicated in May 1995. The maximum output is 600 kilowatts (kW) from an induction motor that is turned by a dual nozzle Pelton Wheel Turbine. The rated flow is 10.5 cubic feet per second (CFS) which is 4712.4 gallons per minute (GPM). This type of turbine requires high pressure to be efficient and the system uses a head box two miles up the line. If there is an interruption in power, the plant is programmed to maintain water flow.