Was this Page Helpful?

How could this page be improved?

Frequent Questions

Responsive image

Frequently Asked Questions

No, the City Attorney's Office may not represent individuals in private legal matters. The City Attorney's client is St. George City Corporation as a municipal government, not individual members of the public. There are many ways to find a lawyer to represent you. One, you may want to consider, is the lawyer referral service named Legal Match (www.utahbar.org and click on "Find a lawyer" or 1-866-678-5342). The City does not endorse Legal Match and provides this information solely as a convenience to you.

No. Reports of possible crimes should be made to the St. George City Police Department, (435) 627-4301, 265 N. 200 E. St. George, UT 84770. 

Yes. Reports of possible building, housing or zoning code violations should be made to the St. George Code Enforcement, (435) 627-4428 or (435) 627-4429, 175 E. 200 N. St. George, UT 84770.

Do you have a court appointed attorney or have hired an attorney? 

If so, your lawyer represents you. The prosecutor represents the St. George City. It would be unethical for the prosecutor to speak directly with you about any situation regarding your case. For your protection, the prosecution isn't allowed to talk to you without your attorney present. Whatever you need to communicate to the prosecutor can be done by your attorney. 

Are you a defendant? 
If you are a defendant with a traffic ticket, it is necessary to wait for the Pre-Trial date issued by the Court before speaking to a Prosecuting Attorney. 

If I am the parent of a Defendant, can I speak to the Prosecuting Attorney? 
That depends. If the Defendant over the age of 18 (as of today's date) and graduated from High School then No. Your son and/or daughter are of legal age and the prosecutor can only speak to them or their attorney regarding their allegations. 

If the Defendant is currently 18 years old or younger and still in High School then the prosecuting attorney may speak to the parents as long as the Defendant is on the phone with them. 

This is the first court appearance for any traffic or other municipal code violation. At this hearing, the Municipal Court Judge will hear all cases scheduled for that day's docket. Defendants appearing that day will be advised of their rights and given the opportunity to plead guilty or not guilty. Those entering guilty pleas will be assessed court fees and fines, pay for any damages caused by their actions, and their case will be at an end. Those entering not guilty pleas will be assigned another court date for a Pre-trial of their case. The Pre-Trial is the first opportunity the Defendant has to discuss their case with a Prosecuting Attorney.

That is your decision. If you have a question or concern, a private attorney should be contacted. The City Attorney cannot provide legal advice and that decision is left to your discretion.

A pretrial conference is a meeting between a Prosecuting Attorney and a defendant and/or his/her attorney to discuss the case and the possibility of a plea agreement or resolution. 

A disposition is a final resolution of a case. You must appear in Court before the Judge. It may include an agreed upon plea and sentence negotiated between a Prosecuting Attorney and a Defendant. All dispositions must be approved by a Judge in open court.

A subpoena is actually a court order telling you to appear at a legal proceeding, so you must appear at the place and time designated on the subpoena. If you fail to appear as ordered by the subpoena, you may be found in contempt of court and sanctioned with jail time and fines. 

What Can I Do If I Really Cannot Appear at the Time Designated by the Subpoena? 

You may contact the attorney issuing the subpoena by phone or in a written letter requesting the City to file a motion to continue with the court to reschedule the hearing. There are narrow deadlines for filing a continuance with the court so please be mindful that it could take several weeks to process. 

Disclaimer: Although the City tries to accommodate victims and witnesses in criminal proceedings, requesting a continuance is left to the discretion of the Prosecutor and your request may be denied. 

The Victim Services Division of the Police Department has been extremely active assisting the victims of domestic violence and other criminal related charges. They are the victim's advocate through the court process helping the victims to have a voice, informing them of their rights, especially the right to assist in how the defendant will be sentenced. 

If you are a victim of a crime in the city of St. George or have any questions regarding the Victim Services unit, you can reach them Monday through Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. at (435) 627-4399. If you are calling outside of regular business hours, please leave your name and number and someone will return your call during the next business day. You may also email: victim.services@sgcity.org

If you have a warrant please contact the Court that the warrant was issued from. The Prosecuting Attorney cannot do anything with you case until the warrant has been resolved and/or a hearing has been scheduled. 

The St. George City Attorney's Office offers traffic school for minor moving violations. Taking traffic school can keep points off your record and your insurance rates lower. Go to www.sgcity.org/trafficschool, select your language preference, and fill out the easy step-by-step application process. About Traffic School 

Languages: English and Spanish
Total Cost: $70.00 + Ticket Fine Amount

Schedule: Always available
Location: www.sgcity.org/trafficschool 
Duration: Approximately 4 hours

Note: You may log in and out as often as necessary to complete the course. 

Questions about Traffic School 

Do not call the Court in reference to traffic school. For any questions relating to traffic school, call the Traffic School Helpline at 1-888-312-6552 or contact the City of St. George Legal Department at 435-627-4600. 

How long to I have to complete traffic school? If you are approved to take the course you must complete it within 30 days from approval. 

If I have paid for my ticket can I apply for Traffic School? NO! If you pay your ticket with Justice Court before applying or taking the traffic school course you will NOT be eligible for the course. 

We are located on the southwest corner of St. George Blvd and 200 East, directly west of the Iceberg Drive-In. The building is called the Washington County Boulevard Office Building. Parking is located in the back of the building. There are either 3 flights of stairs or an elevator.

The following is a list of providers for assessments, treatments, community service or Prime for Life course or if you have been ordered to install an ignition interlock on your vehicle. Please remember to follow the time guidelines as laid out in court for providing proof of completion to the Court.

You can obtain an expungement packet from the Washington County Justice Court for all cases that were handled in our Court only. Please contact the Court for the packet or visit the Expungement Info section. It includes instructions and three forms that will need to be filled out by the appropriate parties. There is a total fee of $165 that will need to be paid to the Court. If the charge being expunged was originally dismissed there is no fee. Please be aware of the following time frames: 

Dismissals: 30 days from Closing date of the case. You may begin expungement proceedings, but the charge won't be expunged until 30 days have run from the date of closing. 

On most other cases, you must wait three (3) years from the case closing date with the EXCEPTION of Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs and Alcohol Related Reckless convictions. The time period on those types of charges are ten (10) years from the closing date of the case. 

If you have any other questions regarding expungements, please contact the Court. 

If you are not available for the date you were assigned you will need to contact the court where your case is being processed and ask them how to continue your court date. 

If you received a citation or were arrested by one of the following agencies.....You must send notice to the following prosecutor: 

Sheriff's Office
Utah Highway Patrol
Wildlife Resources
Park and Recreation
Washington County Attorney's Office
Justice Court Prosecutor
33 N 100 W, Suite 200
St. George, Utah 84770
(435) 634-5723
Fax: (435) 634-5720

St. George Police Department
Dixie State University
Port of Entry
Sheriff's Office
Utah Highway Patrol
St. George City Attorney
Justice Court Prosecutor
175 East 200 North
St. George, Utah 84770
(435) 627-4600
Fax: (435) 627-4260

Marshall McConkie
Call for mailing address
(435) 313-2631

If you were cited on SR59 between mile markers 3 through 12, please send notice to
Robert Cosson
Apple Valley Prosecutor
1777 N Meadow Lark Dr
Apple Valley, UT 84737
(435) 574-1397

No, at this time traffic school is not available for drivers whom have a CDL.