Was this Page Helpful?

How could this page be improved?
No New Special Events Applications at City Facilities Will Be Accepted until September 15, 2023.  [Ordinance 2023-03-003] This does not affect special events on private property, recurring events, or regular park rentals (e.g., a gazebo for a birthday party).  Any completed Special Event application submitted prior to 5:00 PM on March 15, 2023, will be processed. 

Special Events

Please review the Special Event Application packet located under RESOURCES below for questions related to your event, permit fees, and how the approval process works.  For temporary advertising banner or sign permit application forms, click here.


Special Event Applications may be submitted via:

• E-mail:         events@sgcity.org 

• In-Person:  City Hall - 175 East 200 North, St. George, UT 84770


Submit your completed application 45 days prior to the actual event date [
3-10-4A]. This amount of time is required before your event date can be confirmed.
• Allow 45 days to process your application.
• Depending on the details of your event, you may be asked to attend a meeting to elaborate on your application.
• Insurance is required for all events held at a city park or facility. The insurance amounts required are
found here. It is your responsibility to ensure you receive and provide to the City of St. George a Certificate of Liability Insurance in the required amount with all required endorsements PRIOR to your event. If you have questions about insurance, please contact City staff as soon as possible.
• There is a daily permit fee of $75 (up to 300 people), to $150 (over 300 people) for all events. 
• Additional fees may apply for city services provided to the event by the City of St. George. 
• All events proposing to be hosted in City parks should make reservations online
https://www.sgcity.org/parkreservations/ and confirm payment by calling (435) 627-4530. Reservations must be secured in advance of submitting the special event application. 


Useful phone numbers that may be necessary for your event:
• Food Handlers Permit: (435) 986-2580
• Large Tent Approval/Inspection: (435) 627-4150
• Park Reservation: (435) 627-4530
• Proof of Insurance Clarification: (435) 627-4605
• Street Closure/Encroachment Permit: (435) 627-4006
• Temporary Sign/Banner Permit: (435) 627-4712
• Temporary Utah Sales Tax Numbers for Events/Vendors: (801) 297-6303 


What is a Special Event? 
Chapter 10, Section 3-10-2:  Defines a "SPECIAL EVENT" as – A temporary event of any of the following or a combination of the following acts:
A. Any athletic event, entertainment event, parade, carnival, circus, dance, musical event, rodeo event, fighting event, racing event, live shows, fairs, concerts, block parties, filming event, or outdoor sales event, whether held for-profit, nonprofit or charitable purposes held on private or public property within the city.
B. Any organized assemblage at any public park, public square or other city property which gathers for a common purpose or event under the direction and control of a person or entity and which uses more services, amusement devices such as stages, inflatable devices or temporary structures, or equipment, whether provided by the city or a third party, than normally provided to groups which reserve park facilities or other city-owned facilities.
C. Events held at the following are not special events under this chapter:

1. A building that has a business located in it that has a current annual business license as an event business;
2. A building with an assembly group classification under the International Building Code, as adopted by the city, so long as the event does not exceed the posted occupant load as approved by the city and has a current annual business license, if required; and
3. A government-owned facility.

D. For purposes of this chapter, city events are not special events, however, events sponsored by the city are special events.


A permit is also required for:
a. Closing a public street;
b. Blocking or restriction of public property, limiting the use of parks by the general public, and streets;
c. Offer of merchandise, food, or beverages on public property or on private property where otherwise prohibited by ordinance;
d. Erection of a tent on public property, or on private property where otherwise prohibited by ordinance;
e. Installation of a stage, bandshell, trailer, van, portable building, grandstand or bleachers on public property, or on private property where otherwise prohibited by ordinance;
f. Placement of portable toilets on public property, or on private property where otherwise prohibited by ordinance;
g. Placement of temporary "no parking" signs in a public right-of-way.


Special Event Application Process: 
1. The event applicant must complete and submit a Special Event Application to the Special Event Coordinator (SEC). The Special Event Application can be downloaded from the city’s website or can be picked up at City Hall - 175 East 200 North, St. George, UT 84770. 
2. Reservation of City parks will be coordinated with a Parks Division representative, who will research the proposed event dates/times on the park facility schedule to prevent conflicts with sporting events, maintenance, and other activities. Please allow at least five (5) business days for this process. 
3. A Parks Division representative will confirm availability of the location/date, collect the Park Reservation Fee, and issue a reservation contract. The Park Reservation is separate from the approval of the Special Event Permit.
4. SEC will review the application and determine if the event requires "Committee Review" or "Non-Committee Review":

a. Committee Review: The Special Event Review Committee (SERC) must review the application and may request to meet with the applicant during a SERC meeting. Meetings are held on the first Tuesday of each month. The agenda is prepared by the SEC. 

b. Non-Committee Review: The SEC reviews the application and will contact the applicant to inform them of which review process will be required. 

5. Fees:

a.  Special Event Permit, Encroachment Permit, and Sub-License Fees are collected at City Hall - 175 East 200 North, St. George, UT 84770

b.  Park Reservation Fees are collected at the Parks Division Millcreek Facility - 390 North 3050 East, St. George, UT 84790


Questions: Call (435) 627-4712 or reference

St. George City Ordinance Title 3, Chapter 10 – Special Events


Ordinance 2023-03-003 PDF - 03-17-2023 View Download
Special Event Application rev. 03-21-23 PDF - 03-28-2023 View Download
Special Event Vendor Liability Insurance Requirements 7.28.22 PDF - 09-19-2022 View Download
Certificate of Insurance Sample $1M-$2,3,4,or 5M PDF - 09-16-2022 View Download
Encroachment Permit Application Process PDF - 06-16-2020 View Download
Film Permit Application rev. 07-01-22 PDF - 09-16-2022 View Download
Parade Application rev. 09-19-19 PDF - 09-20-2022 View Download
Security Plan Approval Request Form rev. 09-20-22 PDF - 09-20-2022 View Download
Single Event Alcohol Permit Application Packet rev. 07-01-22 PDF - 09-08-2022 View Download
Sub-License Fees rev. 07-01-22 PDF - 09-08-2022 View Download