Please review the Special Event Application packet and COVID-19 Event Planning Template located under RESOURCES below for questions related to your event, permit fees, and how the approval process works. For temporary advertising banner or sign permit application forms, click here.
Special Event Applications may be submitted via:
• E-mail: email@example.com
• Fax: 435-627-4430
• In-Person: City Hall, 175 East 200 North, St. George, UT 84770
Please submit your application 45 days prior to the actual event date. This amount of time is required before your event date can be confirmed.
• Allow 45 days to process your application.
• Depending on the details of your event, you may be asked to attend a meeting to elaborate on your application.
• Insurance is required for all events held at a City park or facility.
• Please note that there is a daily permit fee of $75 (up to 300 people), to $150 (over 300 people) for all events.
• Additional fees may apply for City Services provided to the event by the City of St. George.
• All events hosted in City parks should make reservations online https://www.sgcity.org/parkreservations/ and confirm payment by calling 435-627-4530. Reservations must be secured in advance of submitting the special event application.
Useful phone numbers regarding permits that may be necessary for your event:
• Food Handlers Permit: 435-986-2580
• Large Tent approval/inspection: 435-627-4150
• Park Reservations: 435-627-4530
• Proof of Insurance clarification: 435-627-4605
• Street Closure/Encroachment Permit: 435-627-4006
• Temporary Sign/Banner Permit: 435-627-4712
• Temporary Utah Sales Tax information: 801-297-6303
What is a Special Event?
Chapter 10, Section 3-10-2: Defines a "SPECIAL EVENT" as – A temporary event of any of the following or a combination of the following acts:
A. Any athletic event, entertainment event, parade, carnival, circus, dance, musical event, rodeo event, fighting event, racing event, live shows, fairs, concerts, block parties, filming event, or outdoor sales event, whether held for-profit, nonprofit or charitable purposes held on private or public property within the city.
B. Any organized assemblage at any public park, public square or other city property which gathers for a common purpose or event under the direction and control of a person or entity and which uses more services, amusement devices such as stages, inflatable devices or temporary structures, or equipment, whether provided by the city or a third party, than normally provided to groups which reserve park facilities or other city-owned facilities.
C. Events held at the following are not special events under this chapter:
1. A building that has a business located in it that has a current annual business license as an event business;
2. A building with an assembly group classification under the International Building Code, as adopted by the city, so long as the event does not exceed the posted occupant load as approved by the city and has a current annual business license, if required; and
3. A government-owned facility.
D. For purposes of this chapter, city events are not special events, however, events sponsored by the city are special events.
A permit is also required for:
a. Closing a public street;
b. Blocking or restriction of public property, limiting the use of parks by the general public, and streets;
c. Offer of merchandise, food, or beverages on public property or on private property where otherwise prohibited by ordinance;
d. Erection of a tent on public property, or on private property where otherwise prohibited by ordinance;
e. Installation of a stage, bandshell, trailer, van, portable building, grandstand or bleachers on public property, or on private property where otherwise prohibited by ordinance;
f. Placement of portable toilets on public property, or on private property where otherwise prohibited by ordinance;
g. Placement of temporary "no parking" signs in a public right-of-way.
Special Event Application Process:
1. The event applicant must complete and submit a Special Event Application and COVID-19 Event Planning Template to the Special Event Coordinator (SEC). The Special Event Application can be retrieved from the city’s website or can be picked up at the city office, 175 East 200 North, St. George, UT 84770.
2. Reservation of City parks will be coordinated with a Parks Division representative, who will research the proposed dates/times on the park facility schedule to prevent conflicts with sports and other activities. Please allow at least 5 business days for this process.
3. A Parks Division representative will approve the location/date, collect the Park Reservation Fee, and issue a reservation contract.
4. SEC will review the application and determine if the event requires "Committee Review" or "Non-Committee Review":
a. Committee Review: The Special Event Review Committee (SERC) must review the application and meet with the applicant during a SERC meeting. Meetings are held on the first Wednesday of each month. The agenda is prepared by the SEC.
b. Non-Committee Review: The SEC reviews the application and will contact the applicant to inform them of which review process will be required.
a. Permit Fees are paid at the City of St. George Office - 175 East 200 North, St. George, UT 84770
b. Park Reservation Fees are paid at the Parks Division Millcreek Facility - 390 North 3050 East, St. George, UT 84790
Questions: Reference , or call (435) 627-4712.
|Special Event Application rev 10-1-19 PDF - 10-01-2019||ViewDownload|
|COVID-19 Event Planning Template rev.120220 PDF - 07-21-2021||ViewDownload|
|Certificate of Insurance - Sample PDF - 12-16-2019||ViewDownload|
|Encroachment Permit Application Process PDF - 06-16-2020||ViewDownload|
|Film Permit Application rev. 9-19-19 PDF - 09-24-2019||ViewDownload|
|Parade Application rev. 9-19-19 PDF - 10-31-2019||ViewDownload|
|Security Plan Approval Request Form rev. 9-19-19 PDF - 09-24-2019||ViewDownload|
|Single Event Alcohol Permit Application Packet rev. 9.27.19 PDF - 10-29-2019||ViewDownload|
|Sub-License Fees rev. 9-19-19 PDF - 09-26-2019||ViewDownload|